[aprssig] Settings for an event??

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:16:02 EST 2005

>>> kb0kqa at gmail.com 11/15/05 12:57 AM >>>
>I would think no position is better than an incorrect position.

Except for the fact that some software (UIview) will
completely ignore a station that does not have a
position.!  I find this ludicrous, since the fundamentals
of APRS was that it was to capture ANY packet from
a station such as status or BEACON and that was
sufficient "to exist".  In fact, the original basis for
APRS as a connectionless one-to-all protocol only
added position later when GPS became cheap.

APRS does allow for an ambiguous position report
with ambiguities of 0.1, 1, 10 and 60 miles.  If your
device will always be used within 60 miles of its normal
location, then I would give it a 60 mile ambituity.

Other software is supposed to then display your
station with the ambiguity circle clearly displayed.
This way there is no confusion and no implication
of a position which is not really valid.

Bob, WB4APR