[aprssig] RE: D700 Honda Odyssey Mounting Options

Brad [VE3BSM] lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com
Mon Nov 14 17:53:04 EST 2005

Agreed, the power-seat harness seems brilliant, but there is a difference
between a line *fused* at 30A (which probably means it was intended for a
15A
load) and a line capable of delivering high amperage without excess voltage
drop.

Automakers routinely use SAE wire gauges, as opposed to AWG specs. I'm told
there is a full gauge difference in the ratings, too, so an auto wire
"rated" to carry a certain load is expected, and allowed, to carry more drop
than a corresponding SAE sized wire.

Might be worth checking the voltage delivered under load.
<<<

Yeah, I took a closer look at my power seat's harness, and the actual wires
looked to be 14AWG to me. I couldn't imagine running 15A (to 30A) through
them without expecting some drop.
Anyway, after poking around I decided to run a wire right up to the battery
and have done with it. It took me a while to get it right, but in the end I
think I'll be happier.

Brad.
VE3BSM