[aprssig] AX.25 'H' flag

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Nov 14 13:44:47 EST 2005

I know (understand) what you are saying.... and I darned sure know the
difference between the ascii representation of the ax.25 header when you
monitor a TNC in CONV/CMD mode... and the raw ax.25 header.  ;-)

But I used a pk88 tnc and and kpc3 during the testing of my aprs digi
software back in 1998, and I *think* it was the paccomm treated the
h-flag incorrectly.  (it's been 8 years, so I can't remember which was
which)  I had hooked two TNCs together in an audio loop so that they
talked to each other... one was in conv mode so that I could generate
packets by an attached TTY terminal, and the other TNC was in kiss mode
so that I could capture the raw frames and decode (ahem decypher them).
 I also captured KISS frames that bounced around my town, which was a
mix match of paccomm and KPC tncs.

Just to be sure.... I am talking about the KISS frames I captured by
monitoring the transmission of packets on air.

In the end, we can say how it's *supposed* to be in the spec all we want
( and I agree that each digipeater should set each bit in sequence), but
I just wanted to make sure that Scott knows that not all TNC's meet the
spec, and he'll have to work around them.

kc4pl has my pk88 TNC on loan... maybe I need to dig it out to recreate
this h flag problem again??  I'll have to see if I can dig out the
source code for my kiss mode digi, maybe this is in the comments....