[aprssig] AX.25 'H' flag

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Nov 14 07:14:06 EST 2005

Paccomm (ie TAPR) TNCs treat the H field differently than KPCs do... so
yes, OR...

In my example, I'll use the * to indicate H field...

Some TNCs do this:
digi1*,digi2*,digi3*,digi4

Other TNCs do this:
digi1,digi2,digi3*,digi4

and passing thru a mishmash of digipeaters, you can end up with a packet
like this:
digi1*,digi2,digi3*,digi4

In either of these cases, digi4 should figure out that it's the one
supposed to digi next...  This point drove me nuts when I wrote my kiss
digipeater years ago.  Best to parse packet paths from the END and work
toward the first path element looking for any H flag to be set.  This
also plays well with pre-emptive digipeating.

Wes