[aprssig] More on S.786

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Nov 10 08:08:34 EST 2005

Stan,

Thanks for the link.  It's changed over time, apparently in response to
some of the criticism of those who have read the actual bill.

As near as I can tell, short of interviews to the Weather Channel and
CNN, no one is getting "insider information" or secret briefings.  OK,
well, maybe I have, but they've been in terms of potential research
efforts in concert with NWS, and honestly, I don't think they were
secret.  Or even well guarded, considering I was never asked to not
mention the topics, numerous NWS folks were involved, or if they
wandered up/in during the conversations, were informed of what we were
working on, etc.

What I *did* hear, at a meeting sponsored by the American
Meteorological Society, was Accuweather's CEO, and their vice president,
rant on and on about the NWS providing data for free to the public, now,
that Accuweather could charge for.  And I also heard Gen. D.L. Johnson,
NWS Administrator, being very careful to not tell these folks where to
get off, although he looked like he was steaming in the process.

I've spent more time than I should have looking at this bill and reading
it as carefully as possible.  It's not designed to foster competetion
and improve service to the public.  It's designed to make NWS stop
providing data to the public that someone could charge them for.

More specifically, the bill is so poorly worded that, if enacted and
followed to its letter, NWS and its National Centers for Environmental
Prediction couldn't perform routine predictive modeling, unless there
was severe weather imminent or active.  The problem with that is that
numerical prediction requires essentially sequential model runs, with
observational data assimilated into the initialization matrix of each
successive model run, to nudge its starting parameters toward reality.

There's more, but it's not necessarily suitable to this forum.

73, gerry

 > stanzepa at sbcglobal.net wrote:

 >>> Senator Santorum's web page has the following article: Fact vs.
Fiction: S.
 >>> 786, Strengthening the Core Mission of the National Weather
Service. The

http://santorum.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressOffice.View&Cont
 >>> entRecord_id=1304&CFID=19874078&CFTOKEN=61769882
 >>>
 >>> Personally, I don't trust the Gang of Privateers in D.C. as far as
I can

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173