[aprssig] Re: National Weather Services Duties Act (S. 786 )

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Nov 10 07:31:21 EST 2005

The model of selling meteorological information has been tried,
extensively, in Europe.  The current move to to allow the various
governmental met. agencies to provide data for free, recognizing that
they never succeeded in achieving cost recovery, and continuing to let
the private sector provide value-added information for fee.

Santorum's office would have you believe that's the intent here, but
that's not the language of the bill.  The pros at the administration
level of NWS know politics well enough to be very careful and to not
aggrevate the politicians, lest the Commerse, and specifically NOAA and
NWS budgets suffer for cause, instead of just because they're not
recognized for the benefit they bring the country.

At this time, the Level II radar data is provided to the private sector
through three university partnerships with NWS, on a cost-recovery
basis, while it's further provided to the university community, and some
weather enthusiasts, for free.  I know of several hams and their
organizations who receive it this way.  The university entities,
Integrated Radar Services at the University of Oklahoma, Purdue
University, and the Education and Research Consortium of the Western
Carolinas, charge real money but provide real staff, 24x7 monitoring and
service, and have real facilities, to make sure the private sector folks
get the Level II data in a (very) timely fashion, at no cost the NWS.
NWS derives benefit by A) making sure the data are available to the
private "partners" with low latency through the agreements, and B) by
having the data transmitted with low latency and pretty high reliability
to NWS HQ and the National Climatic Data Center.

So there you have cost-recovery... but it's not NW recovering costs for
acquiring and transmitting the radar data, it's for the university
partners to cover the extra costs they incurred makign those data
available to the private sector, who then massage the data to varying
degrees, and sell it to TV, radio, and the public for internet consumption.

Low cost to the private sector's working, already.

gerry