[aprssig] Any suggestions for an embedded APRS packet encoder?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 7 11:45:30 EST 2005

>   Any suggestions as to where I might find such a beast?  Commercial, or
> homebrew is fine.

Like Jim and Jason said, I've got some firmware out for my OpenTracker
hardware that takes kiss frames below a certain size (140 bytes or so?  I'd
have to check) and spits them out as audio.  I added XON/XOFF flow control,
which isn't part of the KISS spec, but it gives the host some feedback on
transmission status.

You can strip it down to just the MC68HC908KX8 chip, clock oscillator
circuit, and a few passives if you want to integrate it with your own
circuit.  If Freescale's new chips ever make it to distribution, I might be
able to do an 8-pin version that doesn't require an external oscillator.

I think either your link is wrong, or your weather data is going to be of a
very limited nature.  =]

Also, the OpenTracker has its own 1-wire firmware, which currently supports
the basic AAG wind instrument.  The code's open source and hosted on
SourceForge if you want to look at it or use it.

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker