[aprssig] WIDEn-N and New-N packets on the air

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 4 20:50:13 EST 2005

Due to the different TNC's on the air, and the fact that
some have and some have not yet changed over to the
New-N paradigm, I have prepared the following summary
of what you will see on the air from KPC-3 digis.  In all
cases below, the original packet transmitted is
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 .

A- WIDE1,WIDE2-2  and the packet dies after 1st hop if this
    is an old KPC3 or 3+(v8.2) with UIFLOOD supportin WIDEn-N

B- DIGI1,WIDE1,WIDE2-2 and the packet dies after 1st hop if this
    is an old KPC3 or 3+(v8.2) with UITRACE supporting WIDEn-N

C- WIDE1*,WIDE2-2
    WIDE1*,WIDE2-1
    WIDE1,WIDE2*
   if this is a KPD-3+(v8.3) with UIFLOOD supporting WIDEn-N

D- DIGI1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2
    DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2*,WIDE2-1
    DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,DIGI3,WIDE2*  if this is a good
    KPC-3+ versio 8.3 or 9.1 with UITRACE doing WIDEn-N
   *** This is the desired New-N Paradigm result ****

E- DIGI1*,WIDE2-2
    DIGI1*,WIDE2-1
    DIGI1*,WIDE2-1
    DIGI1*,WIDE2 in an old KPC-3 or KPC3+(8.2)
   that has the WIDE1-1 fix in the alias list but still is
   only using UIFLOOD to support WIDEn-N

F- DIGI1*,WIDE2-2
    DIGI1,DIGI2*,WIDE2-1
    DIGI1,DIGI2,DIGI3*,WIDE2 in a properly "fixed"
    old KPC-3 or 3+(v8.2) that has placed WIDE1-1
    in its alias list.
  **** This is the DESIRED WORKAROUND RESULT
  ****  under the New-N paradigm for these TNC's.

Notice that the trailing lack of a * on the WIDE2-0
which is not fixed, but this should not be a problem
unless it is picked up by an improperly set UIDIGI ROM.

Now, the ABOVE are only for KPC-3 results.  There are
another several possiblities for improperly set up UIDIG
ROMS for which I have no experience to comment.
I hope this time I properly detailed what one could
possibly see based on what the KPC-3 digi will do.

PLEASE, lets everyone get ALL digis set properly to
the new-N paradigm so that all these permutations
will go away and we only have options D and F
as the standard New-N TRACEABLE paths.

Hope that helps...
thanks
de Wb4APR, Bob