[aprssig] Re: APRS worldwide coverage and frequencies

Ian ZL1VFO zl1vfo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 18:14:05 EST 2005

> Is there a master list of APRS frequencies by country or region, with
> descriptions of coverage level?  What I can find is outdated stuff from the
> days of the frequency changes.
>
> The US and western Europe are easy, but I know there are developing networks
> in places like Ireland and New Zealand, and I haven't seen any centralized
> information source.
>
> Scott, N1VG
> http://n1vg.net/opentracker

Hi Scott,

Look at <http://zl1amw.wallace.net.nz/operating_frequencies.html>
for NZ frequencies, or it you prefer a map
<http://zl1amw.wallace.net.nz/images/nz_activity1.jpg>
should do it. The reason for the somewhat odd shapes are mountain
ranges. The different frequencies are because some packet digis share
APRS traffic duty, thus some of the odd paths as well.

A map of a good chunk of APRS interconnectivity was drawn up by David
ZL3UDR earlier this year, if you would like some idea of how things
join together. <http://paradise.gen.nz/ham/aprs-mesh.png>

As a side thought, I did look into the idea of a + or - 600kHz
secondary receive-only channel. With our main frequency of
144.575MHz, a - split is out of band, and a + split is 145.175MHz.
Unfortunately, there is a 2m voice repeater in Auckland on
145.775MHz, with it's input also on 145.175MHz, so that idea would
upset users here in Auckland. Almost all of the rest of the country
it would probably be fine...

Cheers,
Ian ZL1VFO