[aprssig] UIDIGI and the New Paradigm

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 4 10:48:15 EST 2005

Ron,

What made you believe you had to add WIDE1-1 to the list to make UIDIGI
interoperable with KPC3+'s? Do you have some examples?

When the UIDIGI is programmed with UIFloodOptions=4, UITraceOptions=2,
UIFloodCall=SS, UITraceCall=WIDE, and the UIDigiCall list does not include
WIDE1-1  it seems to work exactly like the KPC3+ example that Bob displayed.

The is how Bob explained a KPC3+ would handle a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path:

>The KPC-3+ will work this way:
> original:    WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
> 1 hop:    DIGI1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2
> 2 hops:   DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2*,WIDE2-1
> 3 hops:   DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,DIGI3,WIDE2*

I followed up with a packet from my log that met the crtieria Bob questioned
on a UIDIGI. The same path was transmitted on a UIDIGI network and the
following was observed:

N8DEU-12>STUP2X,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2/1:'rG` A
j/]"6t}
N8DEU-12>STUP2X,K4DIG-7,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2/1:'rG` A
j/]"6t}
N8DEU-12>STUP2X,K4DIG-7,WIDE1,W4GPS-7*,WIDE2-1/1:'rG` A
j/]"6t}
N8DEU-12>STUP2X,K4DIG-7,WIDE1,W4GPS-7,W4OZK-7,WIDE2*/1:'rG` A
j/]"6t}

This is the same as Bob's example on how the KPC3+ worked:

original:    WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
  1 hop:    DIGI1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2
  2 hops:   DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2*,WIDE2-1
  3 hops:   DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,DIGI3,WIDE2*

Adding WIDE1-1 to the UIDigiCall list certainly will reduce the packey
payload by 7 bytes.
My question is what is the specific reason that WIDE1-1 must be added to the
UIDigiCall
list to make it interoperable wit the KPC3+'s if they handle the packet path
in the same
fashion?

73's de Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama