[aprssig] What a diffeence an antenna makes

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Tue Nov 1 01:04:57 EST 2005

At 11:15 AM 10/31/05 -0800, Scott Miller wrote:

>[...] A whip antenna would definitely be easiest.  Does anyone know what
>legal requirements there might be for free-floating buoys?  Like does it
>need a flag or other markings?

I have a lot of experience with free floating buoys in the open ocean for
oceanographic research, Legal requirements are pretty much non-existent, so
do what you'd like. (Think of unregulated crab pots.)

Also, visibility is a two edged sword. A flag might make it easier for you
to find & recover,  but it also attracts vandals and souvenir hunters.
Surprising how many there are, even at sea.

Bob Kirk
N3OZB