[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Fri May 27 12:59:22 EDT 2005

Bob... You've been hanging around with too many Brown Shoes :-)

The aviators use the DD MM.mmm, all right, but the Black Shoe NOAA/USCG/DMA
marine charts are still the old DD MM SS.sss. I agree with you that it's
obsolete, and what's more a  pain in the neck, since you have to mentally
convert their Notice to Mariners chart corrections before you can plot
them. Does the Navy still have sailors doing chart corrections with
electric erasers and india ink, or is it automated now?

DD MM.mmm does make more sense.

Bob N3OZB