[aprssig] Wierd Stuff Cluttering 144.39 in LA - What is this?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri May 27 12:54:30 EDT 2005

> Am I correct in concluding that this is someone attempting to run TCPIP
> over packet  on the APRS channel?

Yes, it's Windows networking traffic.  I accidentally did the same thing
(briefly!) when I installed Samba on my IGate server.  Kissattach makes you
assign an IP address to an AX.25 interface, and Samba will by default bind
to all available interfaces and start doing its name broadcasts and such
over the air.  That long CACACACABL sequence in particular looks like WINS
traffic.

If it is Samba, the smb.conf file needs to be modified to restrict the
interfaces it uses.  My file has the following:

[global]
interfaces = eth0 192.168.1.0/24
bind interfaces only = True

Where 'eth0' is the name of my Ethernet interface and 192.168.1.0/24 is the
network address.

Scott
N1VG