[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 26 18:25:49 EDT 2005

>Chill.  Direct attacks have no benefit here.
>Neither do strong unsupported positions.
>Aviation GPS uses decimal degrees.

Sorry, I have an entire department of Naval
Avaitors and civilian pilots who all to-a-man say
they dont!  Just like all surface navigation, that the FAA
and Aeronautical charts, and the Airport
Directories ALL 100% use the APRS, and GPS
and Navy and civilian standard of Degrees
and Decimal Minutes.

Their opinion is similar, that the only people who use
decimal degrees are programmers, and the ever
increasing generation of electronic button pushers
who just pick a number off a GPS without having
to use it on a chart or infer its manual application.

Look at an aeronautical chart, All the airports,
the VOR's the TACANS and all positions are in
Degrees and decimal minutes.  Just like APRS
was designed to be...

>The conversion is...., several alternatives
>for use in the form of utility scripts.

Which is exactly the problem.  The reason for
having a standard is so that we all speak a
common language.  Not having to do mental
divide by 60 or always have a calculator handy.

When a helo is being directed to a landing zone
by GPS coordinates, it should be in the same
format as on a GPS, as on a chart, as on APRS.
And that is DEG and decimal Minutes:

DD MM.mmmm...

And the use of seconds is totally obsolete...

Bob

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173