[aprssig] The Ultimate APRS portable net control station ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu May 26 13:00:08 EDT 2005

Stephen,

I have looked at the box that you built before...I must say you did a very
nice job.

I have an issue with UI-View...I can't make it work well for me. I don't have
any maps and I can't even figure out how to zoom to a location without a
specific map of that area. I have played with UI-View on and off for a while.
I generally play with it until I run into something that I can't figure out,
then life gets in the way and I generally never get around to figuring it out
and UI-View drops off my radar again.

Assuming that I get around my issues with UI-View, I still don't see that as
being the total solution for what I am wanting to do.

In addition to being able to serve "screen-capped" images, I want to serve up
images on demand (i.e., they select they want to see who is around Rest Stop
5, they click on Rest Stop 5 in a list of links and this opens a javAPRS page
zoomed to Rest Stop 5, showing stations around RS5 in real-time. Or they want
to see where SAG1 is, they click on SAG1 in the list of links, it opens a page
zoomed to SAG1 and will track SAG1. javAPRS would also let the end user zoom
the map to get the picture they need for whatever it is they are trying to
understand at that given point in time. It would also let them run a track of
a particular asset, like SAG1 - where has he been over the past hour? And the
number of views would not be limited by the number of UI-View instances that I
have running.

AND

I want to add something like a log for Net control (and/or non-ham event
coordinators) to enter in information and to have that information available
to others in the area. This would let the event coordinators get a quick view
of what's going on, where everyone is, what issues are open, etc.

Some other things that this box should be able to provide are:
 a list of people involved - and how to contact them
 any documentation that was used during the planning of the event
 etc.

To me, this box can be a very helpful communications tool...I just need to
think about it a bit more and setup things that will be easy to use during an
event and will bring value to the management of the event.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net