[aprssig] Dayton meltdown.

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon May 23 10:21:14 EDT 2005

No..... it's like a passive repeater.  You take an active (ie preamp'ed)
antenna on the roof and plug a passive antenna into it.  Bias the whole
thing with 5v to run the preamp on the external antenna.  The passive
antenna becomes a radiating antenna.  All the GPS signals become
"mirrored" inside the building.  The only problem I can see is getting
the coax thru the roof.  Think of it is cutting a hole in the roof so
that your portable GPS unit inside the building could see the sky.

I liked the vicinity tracking, but as far as I know, it's only use was
at dayton back in 1998 using those mfj data radios that were mod'ded to
be really really deaf.

Wes