[aprssig] APRServe??

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Mon May 23 09:46:20 EDT 2005

Think of the server filter as an RF attenuator.  But instead of
decreasing sensitivity on RF, you are limiting your listening "range" on
APRS-IS.  The filters are additive.  You start off with nothing except
messages for you on port 14580 and then you add "filters" to "hear"
desired stations.  All of the javAPRSSrvr servers listed on
http://www.aprs-is.net/aprsservers.htm support port 14580.

If you click on the links to the servers, you will be taken to their
status pages.  Many of the javAPRSSrvr servers support pre-defined
"area" filter ports which might already meet what you want to see.  You
will find a list of the available ports on each server about midway down
each status page.

As I stated in my previous post, you can set a filter on port 14580 by
sending an APRS message to SERVER with the filter text defined:
VE4GN>APRS,TCPIP*::SERVER   :filter m/200
You might be able to set a filter automatically in WinAPRS, but someone
else will have to answer this as I do not have WinAPRS.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net