[aprssig] Path for low(er) altitude balloon

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 16 10:05:30 EDT 2005

>Is the WIDEn-n paradigm now sufficiently
>implemented that I needn't worryabout losing
>my payload somewhere down in hick-ville?

WIDEn-n has been implemented in almost all digis
since 1998.  There are very few WIDE only digis.
A quick check of FINDU.COM shows only two (2)
WIDE only digis in the USA out of 800 digis.

Ah, but there are about 50 of the old PacComm
Trace-only (T) digis that only do WIDE too.  But
these are all clustred in just a few areas.  See my
fix14439.html web page to see where they are:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/digis-t.gif

Yes, until these old PacComm ROMS are re-configured
with aliases of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-1,WIDE3-3
and re-labeled as "P" overlay digis, this will be an
anoyance.

But look at the map. and plan your flight.
If you will land in an area with many old "T" digis,
then you may use the SINGLE hop path of WIDE.
But do not make it WIDE,WIDE because of the
aformentioned disaster that results.

Bob
will c
Will older
digipeaters (not yet using WIDEn-n) still hear it and digipeat, or will
they
simply ignore it?

This will be a long-jump type of flight and I'd hate to lose contact
with
the payload once it leaves the civilized world...

Thanks.

73,
Robert