[aprssig] Path for low(er) altitude balloon

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 16 09:31:10 EDT 2005

For balloons,
Never ever use RELAY or its new equivalent WIDE1-1.
Never ever use WIDE,WIDE or anything like it
Use the universal WIDE2-2.

You will get one hop at altitude (because every digi
will have heard it once) and you will get 2 hops
on the ground when only one digi hears it first.

WIDE2-2 is so much different from WIDE,WIDE,
because every digi will only digipeat it ONCE.
Where as WIDE,WIDE would be a nightmare of
every digi hearing it once, and then 3 or 4 times
from every other surrounding digi and the result
is network meltdown as every digi digipeates the
packet 4 to 5 times each...

This is why the old RELAY and WIDE paths are
obsolete and we need to phase them out.

Bob
>>> rrochte at gpacademy.org 5/15/2005 3:40:54 PM >>>

We are planning the flight of a relatively low altitude balloon to
track air
masses at the 500mb level (around 18k feet on average).  Given this
lower
altitude (at least compared to a stratospheric balloon), I was
wondering how
the path should be set - WIDE or WIDE2-2 or RELAY,WIDE?  Or something
else
entirely?

(BTW, we're using a Pockettracker, so I'm a little nervous about just
using
WIDE given the low power of the unit - RELAY still makes me feel all
warm
and fuzzy inside!)

Thanks and 73,
Robert