[aprssig] Waypoints...

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue May 10 16:56:32 EDT 2005

On May 10, 2005, at 3:31 PM, Rodney Padmore wrote:

> I have a D-700 being fed data from a GPS18PC. I also have a GPSIII+
> and would like to get waypoints displayed on the GPS screen from the
> D-700,GPS18PC set up. Is this possible through the DB-9 connector?

I'd think it would be easier to just switch to the III+ instead of the
18, but since you asked:

I doubt you could get waypoints through the DB9, but you could probably
make a 2.5mm cable such that the TX and ground go to the III+, and the
RX and ground go to the 18.  The 700 would hear the 18 and talk to the
III+.  Since you don't really need to talk to the 18 anyway, this could
be your permanent cable, with a dangling DB9 waiting to plug into the
III+ when you want to use it.  I haven't actually tried this, so be
sure and let us know if it works. (:

I have a similar issue occasionally, in that I have a Trimble SV6
(engine only, no display) in the truck, but once in a while I would
like to use the MAP60 on the dash.  I just swap the 2.5mm cables on the
D700, which isn't too much trouble with my rig's installation.

-Jason
kg4wsv