[aprssig] Coverage on Natchez Trace in TN

Sean Jewett sean at rimboy.com
Mon May 9 10:11:18 EDT 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> > Though it says the... digi is RELAY only, it was
> > promoted to full WIDE .... status a long time ago.
> > We never bothered to change the btext...
>
> This is one of the most important aspects of the
> New-N-Paradigm is to get digi owners to *please*
> indicate the capabilities of the digis in a standard
> and consistent way.  THe nomenclature is "W2"
> or W3 or Wn, and SSn for the state.  If it is an
> old TNC without n-N support, then you need to
> list all 4 aliases such as 11,22,21,33 etc...
>
>  What goes in those first 10 or 20 bytes is VERY
>  IMPORTANT to users and flashes on the heads-up
> display on the mobiles..   Iti s also important to
> have the propoer Overlay character so that users
> can know their network at a glance.

Right.  We know this.  You're preaching to the choir.  We're going to get
to it as soon as we can get to it.  We could have made all of these
changes and I can tell you the coverage would have still been the same.

As I pointed out in the email, Bruce has changed over the Franklin
(formerly NT4L-3, now NT4UX-1) digi to the new paradigm.  It's not clear
that my path of WIDE2-2 was heard once by it (in fact, if you go by the
link I sent it was not).  In addition, I did not hear NT4UX-1 direct or
via another digi while on the Trace.

The only reason why W4GGM-1 is that way is due to the fact that we have
another person that takes down a digi as fast as he puts it up.  We set
W4GGM-1 be WIDE well over a year ago when that digi went off the air.  We
thought it would be temporary, it's been anything but.  Again, last I
heard the antenna situation on W4GGM-1 was less than optimal so even if it
was set to the new paradigm I don't think it would have heard me.  It
should support WIDEn-n so it's more a question of the antenna situation
than anything.

Bottom line is this: I sent out an email stating coverage on the Natchez
from Waynesboro TN to Nashville is not good and looks to be non-existant.
That's all I wanted to pass along.  We're well aware of what the new
paradigm is and what's involved and how you want things.  I'm sorry I even
thought I'd pass this info along.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's