[aprssig] aprs-scs update

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Sat May 7 21:16:16 EDT 2005

Hi All
          Just a note to let you know what I have been working on.
I am in the process of having aprs-scs display tiger data.
At the same time I am working on a full gui program that will allow
the user to edit the tiger data.

The user will be able to change, add and delete streets.
The user will be able to change, add and delete street names.
If this all works out as planned I will publish my tiger data
protocol so other aprs authors will be able to use my massaged tiger
data in their programs.

With our large aprs user pool I envision this tiger update program
making the tiger data more accurate than the data that the commercial
mapping companies provide.

Presently the update program can display, pan and zoom tiger data
maps. It has a floating tool bar that will make the use of the
program easy.

I have taken the tiger data for NY state which is 1 gig and
compressed it down to 65 meg. When I am done with all 50 states I
hope to be able to store the data on one cd-rom.

This compression is what I meant by my tiger protocol.
Which when I am done I plan on publishing at some up coming TAPR DCC.
Maybe this years, If not. Defiantly next years.

Just wanted to let you all know  what has been keeping me busy.

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs