[aprssig] DIGI ID packets?

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat May 7 10:28:11 EDT 2005

Yes, it should have been done years ago.  No, it is not the "ultimate
fix for the APRS network".  As long as there are TNC's with bad dupe
checking (KPC 3+'s) or no dupe checking (TNC2's without UIDIGI) in use,
there will be problems with any solution that depends on source routing.
For that matter, even IF all TNC's did proper dupe checking, source
routing still defeats the ability for APRS LAN's to be properly
established.

The "ultimate fix for the APRS network" is to move away from source
routing (user-defined paths) and to implement sound network design
principles at the digipeater and gateway level.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net