[aprssig] Solar charging again

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu May 5 18:18:46 EDT 2005

Slightly different topic this time - I'm interested in solar charging for
small systems, probably with NiMH batteries.  I suppose a very small SLA
might work, too.  I want to put 1-wire weather station OpenTrackers in
mast-mounted boxes with small PV panels.

The average power consumption of the system can be kept to under 50 mW.  The
tracker (with an LDO regulator installed) maybe 6 mA at 5 volts, including
the weather sensors.  I figure a 6" by 6" or smaller panel should be able to
do it, but I'm not sure about the efficiency of small charging circuits.
Does anyone have any good example circuits?  I think I saw a Maxim appnote a
while back that did something similar - I'll have to check.  I figure the
battery pack will probably be 6 or 7.2 volts.

It'd be nice to use something like the PocketTracker transmitter, but I
think it'll be cheaper and simpler to use a DJ-S11T or something similar.
They're cheap and readily available on eBay.  Though the lack of an antenna
connector is annoying...

Thanks,

Scott
N1VG