[aprssig] Question abt recommended path

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 5 12:33:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Matt Werner wrote:

> Any digi that digipeats strictly based on a packet that begins with
> "AP" is broken.  Page 13 of the APRS Spec 1.0.1 lays out clearly what
> the destination can be.

That's not the issue here though.  Above you're talking about the
DESTINATION address.  The original poster was trying to set his
PATH, evidently on a non-UI-View system.

What's at issue here is that UI-View evidently has the user specify
both the DESTINATION address and the PATH in the same fill-in box.
It confuses users of non-UI-View clients or trackers if they come
across UI-View specific information.  The original poster came
across just such information and then set his PATH to
"APRS,WIDE2-2", which is incorrect for anything except UI-View.

So:  UI-View:  Use "APRS,WIDE2-2", which includes both the
destination address and the path all in one shot.  In this case PATH
is set to "WIDE2-2", and DESTINATION address is set to "APRS".

Non-UI-View:  Use "WIDE2-2" or perhaps "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1".
"WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" is what we're suggesting mobiles use in the NWAPRS
region, which triggers the fill-in digi's as well.  This only sets
your PATH, no DESTINATION address is specified here.

Hopefully that'll help the original poster understand why that one
path didn't work:  He was sending to "APxxx,APRS,WIDE2-2"
(destination, digi1, digi2), and "APRS" as the first digi doesn't
work.

Is the mud a little clearer now?