[aprssig] APRS Digipeter Design Questions

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) vk3jfk at amsat.org
Sun May 1 06:53:50 EDT 2005

------------------------------

Message: 20

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400

From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>

Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS Digipeter Design Questions

To: <hansen at fredonia.edu>, <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>

[snip]

> EVERYTHING is obsolete except for WIDEn-N

> there is no more future need for RELAY, WIDE,

> TRACE, TRACEn-N, nor SS.  There are only

> two mechanisms.  UIFLOOD with ID and UITRACE

Bob, You are talking about the USA here.

Not all countries will bother with your "New N Paradigm" when the original
RELAY WIDE TRACE works very well.

REMEMBER that the US is only one of a large number of countries where there
are customers that would be interested in the new digipeater.

>> Is there any reason for me to include support for TRACE?

> Be very careful with terms.  There used to be TRACE

> and TRACEn-N.  Both are totally different processes.

> "TRACE" is completely obsolete.  "TRACEn-N" using

> the UITRACE paramete is being replaced by SSn-N

> where SS is the state or section abbreviation.

[snip]

> Plesase reveiw the New N Paradigm that is the

> basis for the future of APRS:

Again REMEMBER it's not the future for APRS in all countries of the world
and may never be.

You assisted in created a global system which is great. Some of us will
never see more than a few hundred APRS stations in our countries. The
original RELAY WIDE TRACE WIDEn-N & TRACEn-N works very well for all these
places.

> thanks!

> Bob

Cheers,