[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 31 17:29:26 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >then perhaps WIDEn-N flooding protocol needs to get
> >added to each client so that this can be enabled when
> >needed?
>
> You can almost do it now.  Rememebr months ago, I was
> saying that ALL  fill-in digis should simply replace their
> RELAY ALIAS with WIDE2-2 ALIAS.  This way those
> home stations WILL digipeat the WIDE2-2 mobile and
> ONLY if the home station is the first to hear it.  The only
> problem is that the packet goes no further.  But at least
> its better than no digipeat at all...
>
> So My recommendation remains.  Everyone swtich to
> WIDE2-2 or WIDE3-3 depending on their area, and
> repllace the RELAY ALIAS in all the "fill-in" digis with
> the ALIAS of "WIDE2-2".  Its not a perfect solution
> but it will cut mobile QRM by a factor of 2 to 5...
> A huge benefit...
>
> If that home digi that is now a "WIDE2-2" only digi
> also is on line, then the mobile still gets out to the
> world too....

I see how there's a huge benefit in the populated areas, but the
whole reason for keeping the relay in the canyons/hills is so that
station can get a helping hand from the home stations.  With the
above scheme you end up with the "home" digi helping that
mobile/portable to be heard at the hilltop digi's receiver, BUT that
digi will refuse to digipeat it because that digipeater slot in the
header was used up by the "home" digi.  Therefore it is of little
help to mobiles in this situation.  Nobody really hears them except
for that one home station.  We need just one more hop somewhere to
get it transmitted by the hilltop digi.