[aprssig] Local Event using RELAY?

Andre PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Thu Mar 31 12:29:52 EST 2005

Wes Johnston schreef:

> Ah ha!!!  The light came on for me!  Henk and I are talking apples to
> Pete's
> oranges...   Apples and Oranges...
>
> The important (yet subtle) difference is the dispairity between a
> mobile's
> coverage area and a digipeater's coverage area.  When packets are
> bouncing
> along from one digi to the next, and  the digipeaters have a significant
> portion of their coverage areas overlapping, then CSMA can work
> better.  The
> greater the overlap, the better CSMA works.  But since no two
> digipeaters have
> 100% overlapping coverage area (what would be the point?), CSMA will
> not work
> 100% of the time... it's simply a function of the percent overlap.  I
> can see
> from a digipeater to digipeater perspective, that without CSMA, the
> network
> wouldn't work well.
>
> But my mobile can't hear another mobile trying to get into the digi at
> the same
> time as me, and it sure can't hear the next digi in the next town. So
> for a
> mobile station, where the coverage area is extremely different than
> the station
> he's trying to contact, we have to use aloha.  I also recognize that an
> undecodable signal that keeps tripping my squelch open will serve to
> prevent my
> station from transmitting due to the slot time and persist variables
> in my TNC.
>
> But if we can agree that upon entry into the network from a mobile
> station, the
> access method is aloha, and once a packet is "in" the network, the access
> method is CSMA.  This leads right to Bob's alt input digipeater idea.
> Mobile
> stations compete for access into a digipeater on a quiet frequency
> using aloha.
>  That first digi is able to listen for a break in the traffic on the APRS
> frequency, and properly use CSMA to insert the packet when the band is
> clear.
>
> Let's use Pete's number of 93% of traffic on a digi comes from other
> digipeaters.  That means that 7% is local.  I would rather my mobile
> station
> compete with 7% traffic instead of 100% of the traffic in an area.  While
> neither CSMA nor aloha access methods are perfect in a radio
> environment, they
> really don't mix well... so let's keep 'em separate!  If each town
> took one
> digipeater site and made it a simple alt-input RELAY digi, the aloha
> mobiles
> would transmit on one frequency (while still listening on 144.39), and
> all the
> rest of the CSMA traffic would be on the main aprs frequency.  Pete
> has said in
> [...]
that sounds a lot like the plan I put forward a couple of weeks ago with
puting the fixed stations on a 9k6 70cm frequentie and the mobiles on
1k2 2m offcourse this plan is simpler to implement and therefor more
likely to be accepted.
I like it as a good leap to improving the channel usage and a stepping
stone to moving the main aprs trafic to 9k6.

73 de Andre PE1RDW