[aprssig] Optima Batteries?

Josh Keller jeepin95 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 30 13:20:36 EST 2005

My SAR group has 2 repeaters setup in ammo cans for portable operation.
One is a D700 that operates as a digi for APRS, the other is a link for
the SAR freq (not used yet). At this point they have only ever been set
in a vehicle with mag mounts but we're looking to make them portable.
Has anyone ever tried the Optima Yellow Top batteries for this? I was
thinking something along the lines of the D31A-OY. Autozone.com has them
for $189.99. The "reserve capacity" appears to be 75Ah but it weighs in
at 59lbs. Also looking at the 51R-OY which Autozone has for $139.99 and
it only weighs 26lbs but 41Ah.

Anybody had experience with these for this type of work? They would
probably be kept on an autocharger in the front of a trailer until needed.

Thanks,
Josh