[aprssig] OT: FT-1500M

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Mar 30 05:44:35 EST 2005

Hi Mike

> There was some discussion here a couple of weeks back about the FT-1500M. I
> just bought one at a swap meet on Saturday, mainly for APRS use.
> Unfortunately it only transmits from 144-146 MHz, OK for APRS but not for
> most of our local repeaters. If there is someone with one who would be
> willing to open theirs up to check some jumpers for me, could you please
> contact me off-list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Fenske
> VE7MKF

It sounds like you have the European version of the FT-1500M. I bought one (144-148 MHz version) a year or so back. It arrived with the MARS/CAP mod already done to it. I looked around and found this site for doing the mod... www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-1500M.htm. I followed the reverse directions to "un-mod" it.

I have a dead FT-1500M here. It's as good a time as any to pop the lid. (Unfortunately, no obvious signs why no RF out.) There are jumpers on JP1001 and JP1004. No guarantee that it will work, but you could try this. Make note of which jumpers are already in place in case you need to "un-do" the change. Add a jumper to JP1001 and JP1004 if absent, and remove any other jumpers that are present.The jumpers are on the back of the cct board behind the LCD display. JP1001 is closest to the tuning knob and JP1006 is closest to the volume control. I don't know if there are any differences to the European version, but for the North American model, it restored the transmit to just 144-148 MHz. Per the above site, do a reset after doing the mod.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH