[aprssig] Local Event using RELAY?

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Mar 29 14:03:17 EST 2005

APRS is NOT ALOHA!!!  Read what the ALOHA project was and then we can
discuss this.  AX.25 UI packets are transmitted using CSMA with a
varying probability (depending on station types, power, location,
terrain, etc.) that one station will try to transmit at the same time
another station is without being able to hear (at all) the other
station.  In fact, the numbers you quoted are based on invalid
assumptions and are of little value other than to mislead people about
operating a "deaf" station.

For Bob and you to promote transmitting in the blind is
counterproductive to establishing a stable APRS environment of benefit
to the most users.  Heck, let's go back to encouraging everyone to
transmit every 30 seconds in the blind with a path of RELAY,WIDE7-7 to
make absolutely sure our packets are heard.  If this sounds like an
overstatement, it is.  But so is your indefensible position that
transmitting in the blind is ok because you probably won't hear anything
anyway.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net

And I certainly did but you obviously weren't listening.