[aprssig] Puget Sound packet hog counter

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Mon Mar 28 17:16:22 EST 2005

Subject: Re: [aprssig] Puget Sound packet hog counter

> Yes,
> I guess I am frustrated that with over 50 digis in 128
> miles of Washington DC, and the WORST APRS
> network density on the planet, that now after 4
> months of the proven efectiveness of the New n-N
> paradigm, only ONE DIGI has upgraded their TNC
> and only 7 have changed their existing parameters..
> That's the basis of my lack of confidence in any plan
> that is based on new hardware...          Bob

My <soapbox> is that we have to continuously look
towards new hardware and new software.  It's the tools
we use to do cool stuff.

As for the situation in your, or any other, neighborhood, I
suggest the following.

1. Measure and make available the local performance.  That's the
core idea behind the hog counter...  Thanks to HP for teaching me,
"what gets measured -- gets better."   (Hogie is now on Source Forge,
it's not ready for prime time but anybody with a good spirit of adventure
should be able to get it going...  Search SF for "libaxu".   It now uses
the APRS-IS filters so anybody should be able to run it for any area..  It's
not as good as a raw, unfiltered feed but it'll work.)

2.  Use the power of the group!   APRS in our Northwest Region is what it
is because of the NWAPRS (  http://www.nwaprs.org )  That doesn't mean
that what we do is right, or that we agree, or that Herb has been to be the
best source of Hot Wings on I5 -- but we have a place to exchange ideas
and talk about it.

3.  Demonstrate New Technology.   Bringing tools online like Digi-ned or
the hog counter show what can be done and provide -- sometimes
good, sometimes not so good -- examples.  Either way it brings energy
and activity to the system which is what keeps it living and growning.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP