[aprssig] future problems with NWS radar images?

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Mar 28 17:13:35 EST 2005

I started a conversation with my local NWS data guru about getting transparent
doppler images (with the gridding and county line overlays), and he has
referred me to a man up in Maryland.  In my conversation with the guy in MD, he
let the cat out of the bag that they are redoing the nexrad radar websites and
are adding some glitzy graphics, but will also offer transparent images.  The
red flag went up when I looked at the _projection_ they use.  It is no longer
orthogonal!  It's a spherical projection that looks like it'll make the doppler
radar GIF files pulled from the NWS sites unsuitable for findu, ui-view,
winaprs, and xastir....

Here is the page they sent me as a sample:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/cae_n0r.html

Here is the raw GIF file:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/CAE_N0R.gif

Does anyone else have any information as to where the NWS is going here?  Are
they going to really use this spherical projection?

Wes