[aprssig] NEAT GADGET! Complete web server crammed into PIC processor.

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:43:49 EST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 6:27 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

>  Perhaps this should be the next add-on for TNC-X.   A complete Igate
> in two chips???

The PIC in the recently announced X-track module (18f252) can already
do a _lot_ more than a 12c509. The hardware may be there already, just
waiting on someone to write the software.

I think the x-track module has a _lot_ of potential, and not just as a
tracker.  I glanced at the specs for that chip and I don't see why a
complete smart digipeater wouldn't fit on the x-track.  The tnc-x
already has RAM for storing packets, so the limited RAM on the
x-track's PIC wouldn't be a real issue.

As an added benefit, there's a C compiler from Microchip for the PIC on
the x-track, and there appears to be a free trial/student edition (good
for 60 days, I think?).

-Jason
kg4wsv