[aprssig] Marine tracking

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 24 02:41:39 EST 2005

I think a bit of clarification is needed here.

AIS was developed to satisfy the requirements of 33CFR161,
Which details the need for vessels operating in specified ports and
waterways within the US, to provide movement reports to the USCG.
Particularly in ports with a VTS/VTC (Vessel Traffic Center) or VMC (Vessel
Movement Center), AIS satisfies the reporting requirements and may alleviate
the need to provide traditional "sailing plans".  Ports in which the USCG
does operate a VTS requires a vessel over a specified length (I have to look
but I think it's 36 ft) to maintain contact with the VTS when in it's
operational boundaries, and accept direction regarding it's intended
movements.  These directions may dictate the vessels course, speed,
separation from regulated navigational areas such as Navy bases or sensitive
industrial areas, and even the times that the vessel may be permitted to
move.  Vessels equipped with AIS are still under the direction of the VTS,
but AIS assists the VTS operators to more easily identify and track the
movements as compared to traditional methods such as radar and long range
cameras.  Since 9/11, vessel movements have been tightly regulated in the
"interest of national security and port safety".  Vessels are still required
to submit advanced arrival notices prior to entry into the port even when
equipped with AIS.

Not all US ports have AIS implemented, for instance the busy port of San
Francisco is still in the development and testing phase.  This is not due to
lack of transponders for the vessels, but lack of shore-based systems at the
VTS's.  Most USCG vessels still do not have GMDSS installed yet either.

Since this is mainly a USCG initiative, you are not likely ever to expect to
gain access to the data they collect.  They won't provide a port on a server
for us to garner the AIS data stream they receive and archive.  AIS is not
necessarily going to be implemented throughout much of the rest of the world
either.  It isn't a SOLAS requirement, at least not yet, it's not "offshore"
or global, or satellite based, so strictly local "port-centric".

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
"U.S. Coast Guard:  212 Years of Tradition, Unmarred by Progress"