[aprssig] Re: APRS+SA (v2.24) filter question

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Mar 19 16:10:29 EST 2005

Actually, this statement is incorrect.  As I have shown, you can do the
filter setting at login time by adding "# filter yourfilter" to the
entry in aprserve.txt.  This causes the filter to be sent with the login
to the server and allows you to have different filters for different
servers.

The entry in the APRS settings.ini file that you describe causes the
filter string to be sent to the every server at login time, but not as
part of the login.  An extra comment line is sent to the server telling
it to set the filter.

Effectively, there is no difference.  Operationally, the aprserve.txt
method allows different filters for different servers and provides
positive feedback in your TCP window.  The settings.ini method applies
to all server connections and there is no positive feedback from the
server regarding whether the filter took hold.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net