[aprssig] Additional IGates ?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:22:45 EST 2005

>>> mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net 3/18/05 3:35:01 PM >>>
>It seems to me that more IGates would be a good thing
>and would not hurt anything; especially listen-only IGates.

The ultimate will be reached when there is an Igate within
range of every digi.   One IGate inbetween two digis can
serve users in both areas.  The goal is that an IGate should
not have to use a general path length greater than 1 hop.
This makes sure they can see everything they can QRM.

>I am thinking about recommending to some of the regional
>clubs that people interested in APRS who have a full-time
>internet connection install an IGate at their house.

I think a better approach is to look carefully at your greater
area, look at the overlaping DIGI coverages (PHG circles
or other data) and then see where all the existing IGates
are.  Then it should be very obvious where the IGate holes
are best filled.  Then go solicit in that area.

Of course, you probably wont be so lucky as to find one
exactly where you need it.  But I think solicting lots of
volunteers without at least a general plan and then having
to turn them off if you get too many is more painful...

Anyway, just a thought.   Its fun to look at the map and
the PHG circles and the PATH tracing and the IGates
circles and path data and figureout an optimum way to do
it...

Good luck~!

Bob