[aprssig] TNC command formats

Noel Shrum ar798 at tcnet.org
Wed Mar 16 14:51:38 EST 2005

Scott Miller wrote:
> My TNC's command interpreter is now up and running, and I'm pondering the
> best way to proceed with the command set.
>
> So far I've been following the TNC-2 style commands, with an interface
> modeled on the one used by Kantronics, with some minor differences.  For
> example, a Kantronics TNC will use the first matching command from its list
> that matches a partial command, while mine will accept a partial only if
> there's a single, unambiguous match.  Error responses, help screens, and
> that sort of thing are different, but my intent is to provide some
> compatibility with existing software, and reduce the learning curve for the
> user.

Why not use TAB to complete the commands like some Unix/Linux shells?

I rather like being able to type part of the command and press tab to
have the shell finish it, or show the matches to the partial typed command.

I hate having to type help and read through the list of commands every
time  I forget how to spell the command on my KPC3+

Noel W8TVI