[aprssig] Re: Anyone use GPS module as alt to full GPS unit ?

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Tue Mar 15 18:46:50 EST 2005

I run a GPS-18 LVC and TinyTrak3 combo. The -18 draws about 60mA, and
I use the stock 5V regulator (78L05) with an added wire
to supply +5 to the GPS port. The TT draws power from the radio port.

The regulator gets a bit warm, but not overly so. I'm going to put
a small heat sink on it one of these days; I drilled a couple of
holes in the case.

There are two problems with the PocketTracker - 1) you'll have to cobble
an extra connector to power the GPS (not hard) 2) you'll want to make
certain that 1/4W output is sufficient for your use (harder).

73 de chris KG6VYD