[aprssig] Re: Multiple Radio Desense

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 15:27:46 EST 2005

Bob wrote:
Last week, I asked 3 AMSAT volunteers (OE1DMB, N6IZW,
and ZL3RX to take some radio measurements for FM desense
just to see if we were in the ballpark for multiple radio
operations at one site.  This data will be useful for you  at
FieldDay and your EOC or other operations where multiple
radios will be used.  (APRS everywhere!)
<big snip>
----

This is handy, except that you didn't tell us what kind of radios, and what
kind of antennas those radios had and where they were relative to the
ground.  Were they HTs? With rubber ducks? Held about 5 ft off the ground?
With nothing in the way between (as across a grassy field)?

How did you define "desense" and "blockage"?  When you couldn't break
squelch on voice comms? or when the voice comm shut down the radio connected
to the  TNC, as indicated by no packets (or lots of packet errors)?

This is quite tantalizing and would be real useful with just a bit more
info.

Jim, W6RMK