[aprssig] Anyone use GPS module as alt to full GPS unit ?

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Mar 14 13:46:19 EST 2005

I've thought about using a GPS18 or other hockey puck GPS that autostarts as the
GPS input for my kenwood d700.  If I apply switched power to my GPS162
mapdisplay unit, it won't come on automatically, so I just leave it on all the
time.  I'd much rather just turn that unit on when I want to see what my d700
is receiving.  Doing this would allow me to run the entire setup on switched
12v power and have 0 battery draw when parked.

If I were to do this, it'd be wired so that the hockey puck GPS got power from a
switched 12v source in the car and fed my d700's GPS input.  The d700's gps
output would be wired to the nice map display GPS.  I could wire either the
output from the hockey puck or the display GPS to a de-9 connector for my
laptop's benefit.

I have yet to figure this one out, but at one time, my d700 would auto start
when power was applied to it, but the next time I saved a PM mode, it stopped
doing it.  I have never been able to cause it to autostart with any regularity.
 Sometimes when I save a PM mode it begins to autostart again.  Does anyone have
a clue to how to make it do this all the time?

Wes