[aprssig] differential corrections available to public (in some places)

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Mar 14 11:11:17 EST 2005

Quoting Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager at tamu.edu>:
> And, putting out the ones consumer receivers will understand will not be
> beneficial to the Survey community.

There's a law here in SC that requires that all data in the GIS system be
collected by certified GPS surveyors (something to that effect).  The problem
arose when a city tried to get the surveyors to locate all the fire hydrants.
They could not get them in for some length of time... and decided to recruit a
boy scout troop to run all over town with hand held GPS units and mark the
hydrants.  The surveyors responded by sueing the town to have the data removed
from the GIS system.  What a crock of poo poo.  One of the higher ups at the
state GIS level told me this story about 2 weeks ago when I was discussing
getting the fire hydrant locations for my town's fire trucks.  We were going to
raise a little money and donate cheap hand held GPS units to the volunteer fire
dept's... they can "goto" nearest waypoint when on a call if all the fire plugs
are saved as waypoints.  To my way of thinking, they could have derated that
data in the GIS system, but still kept it until it would have been superceeded
by the certified surveyors' data.  Some data is better than no data.

> If there's interest, I can carry on about how to appropriately survey
> your location.  It's not too difficult but it is also not quite as
> simple as just getting a long-term average of GPS positions.
>
> gerry

I'm interested for the sake of knowing... if you can copy paste something,
please do... but don't spend any time on it.

Wes