[aprssig] WAS:TNC220 ok for UI-DIGI ? TNC's from "Over the Pond"

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Mar 13 21:09:39 EST 2005

I'm still working on my TNC project.  I'm curious how many people are still
interested in having the TNC be capable of true connected-mode AX.25, or is
KISS-only sufficient these days?  I've already got the start of a command
shell running, so it'll be configurable via a terminal for things like
digipeating, but as yet there's no converse mode or mailbox facilities.

Is having a mailbox facility even a selling point anymore?  It'll certainly
have space - I've got the prototype running with a 128 MB SD card and it
could easily be larger - but who uses it?

I'm curious what the legal ramifications would be for these TNC imports.  I
think the FCC regs say that if you're going to sell or advertise such a
product (any finished product with digital technology and a clock speed of
more than a few kHz), it's got to be certified.  Is there some way around
this, or does everyone just ignore the issue?

If and when this project is ready, that's going to be a major expense for
me.  Class B certification and CE Marking testing will probably cost more
than all of the tooling and setup fees for manufacturing.  Or does someone
know a cheaper place to get that done?

Scott
N1VG