Two meter freqs in cable/TV systems; WAS Re: [aprssig] Yaesu FT1500M

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 11 22:41:42 EST 2005

Hello,
I would argue that an operator needs to know how to
run his radio.  If a repeater has a tone that isn't
turned off, what are you going to be able to do for
them when they respond to your situation?

Simplex in the open is great, but everyone needs to
carry cheat sheets or the entire manual to be able to
adjust their rigs on the fly to suit the situation.

Advertising the PL during a disclaimer during your net
ops can be accomplished.  As the net occurs, do you
advertise so to speak that the frequency is in use for
a directed net and will be used for X amount of hours
for the event?  It is a consideration to others that
may want to use the frequency, it helps incoming
operators find out how to check in, and many other
points to help run the net.  You have to identify your
net control station every so often, transmit the
disclaimer then.

How do hams from area A hear that they need help in
area C?  Does information come straight from the EC or
DEC or where?  I would hope that if a request came
from the chain of command, that all operational
details of what frequency and if so, what PL is being
used.  I am saying that so we don't go willy nilly
into a situation that we aren't asked to go to, also,
to say that requests for help have to give(Should
give) this kind of information.  Then, the responding
operators are prepared before they arrive and not
cause chaos by not being able to call anyone to get
their marching orders.

Thanks,
Chris
KB8UIH