Two meter freqs in cable/TV systems; WAS Re: [aprssig] Yaesu FT1500M

Charles Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Fri Mar 11 17:46:47 EST 2005

On 3/11/2005 Rich Garcia wrote:

> Pl is fine Charles but it's not a magic trick that makes a signal go away.

Agrees - I was more commenting on the fact that the original poster
said that his CERT team could not listen to their simplex freq due to
the squelch breaking all the time.  I did not notice he said it was
THAT bad

<snip>

> PL will not make a signal go away, if you have a CATV carrier on a frequency
> in your operational area or on a repeater input, it will just
> keep you from hearing it but not keep you from being interfiered by it.

Agreed

> PL's in the way of EmComms is a bad thing, training or not. You may know
> your PL but not everyone responding to your emergency may know what
> it is and even if you tell them that does not mean they know how to set it.

Which is why, if we are working with outside teams, we will run
without PL, and we drill that way TOO, also with repeaters

> Training is key but you can not be assured that in a widspread
> emergency it will only be your members responding.

Oh - totally agree - you have to be flexible about this.  There are
times TO use PL, and times not to.  Of course, they are going to have
to set their PL to get into a lot of the repeaters around here, but...

>  That comes from someone
> who survived 2 hurricanes about 6 weeks apart from each other
> and who's job took him to 2 additional hurricane stricken areaw in a matter
> of 2 months. What we thought and what we trained for was true,
> PL is fine day in and out but when the sheet hit the shan take the PL of.

Agreed

> OK off the soap box and I'll get back to packet.

Yep - sounds like a plan - I was just trying to bring up the idea that
for intra team comms (which is where we mostly use simplex around
here) PL often works, and a lot of folks don't think of PL on simplex
for some reason!!!

A common scenario - 2 or 3 teams, each using their own simplex freq,
WITH PL, and being coordinated via a repeater in common - allows the
teams to "chatter" among the team more, and keeps the net clear

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Cannot open file "cookie.txt"