[aprssig] TNC220 ok for UI-DIGI ?

Andre PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Fri Mar 11 16:56:35 EST 2005

Mark Earle schreef:

> At 05:04 AM 3/12/2005 +1000, you wrote:
> >Whats constitutes a TNC2 Clone ?
> >
> These days, that would be:
> 1. Genuine TAPR TNC-2 (almost impossible to find)
> 2. Pac-Comm Tiny-2 or Mark-2
> 3. MFJ 1270 series.
>
> We've used the Pac-Comms with good success. I prefer them over MFJ,
> because the MFJ has a "tuneable" modem, and may drift at sites with
> wide temperature variations. The modem chip used in the Pac-Comm is
> crystal referenced.

if you have connections in europe you can go for the symek tnc2 clones
like the tnc2s tnc21s and tnc2h. the first two are 1200 baud and the h
version is 9600
the 1200 baud versions use tcm3105 as the modem, the dcd is not as good
on that ic but it is more stable and copies better in the noice then the
xr2211, there is a mod to use the xr2211 for the dcd and the tmc3105 as
modem.
there is also the dutch designed tnc2nl that is sold as a kit, it is
almost identical to the tnc2s.
european tnc2 clones usualy use german designed TF2.7b from nord><link
that has a 27 or 10 channel keyboard mode (depending on the version),
smack-kiss and wa8ded hostmode.
The newer tnc3s, tnc31s and tnc4e use a different faster processor and
can´t run ui-digi but I think the information needed for programming for
these tncs are available, they are designed with flash memory so you can
upload new firware without opening the box.
the tnc3s has place for two modemboards the tnc31s has room for one
modem, the tnc4e  has room for 3 modems and an ethernet port.

73 de Andre PE1RDW