[aprssig] APRS System Overriding Fundamentals - xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 11 14:15:34 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, aa8ei wrote:

> OK folks. I get it. BUT I tried to download the Linux/xastir software. Got
> a bunch of it successfully. Then couldn't make heads or tails of it.
>
> I'm not familiar with UNIX or Linux. If I could find someone near
> Cincinnati who could show me the way, I'd bring the laptop over and we'd do it.

Forget that!  If you can't use one of the many Unix/Linux variants
that can run Xastir and must stick with Windows, click on the
"Binary Downloads" link off the www.xastir.org homepage, then click
on the "WinXastir Binary, Network Install" link (under
"Windows/Cygwin" near the bottom of the page) to install
Cygwin/Xastir using Bill's excellent install scheme.  Xastir on
Windows.

> I appreciate all the xastir suggestions. Maybe I'll try the downloads
> again. I tried WinAPRS again, but downloading all the map files is much too
> large a chore for more than a county or so. National data download is
> impractical. I was informed development was underway to make it automatic.
> The TIGER downloads are the solution to most of the map program for the US.
> Again, my interest is not local-bound.

For Xastir you have topo's, satellite images, tigermaps, all
available via internet mapping.  You can also use local mapping of
all these types if you need a mobile/portable station set up without
internet access.

> Yes, I suppose I could be called 'lazy' but I'm championing new and more
> inclusive software development, stuck with using Windows OS because of the
> sheer quantity (my personal preference would be Apple OS)

Xastir runs on that too, assuming you're talking OSX.