Two meter freqs in cable/TV systems; WAS Re: [aprssig] Yaesu FT1500M

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Fri Mar 11 12:06:21 EST 2005

We had a similar problem in my town, however the cable company fixed it
because the leakage was 'in' as well as 'out', which resulted in picture
interference on channels 18 and 19 when hams and when commercial 2 way
users (police, ambulance, sheriff, highway patrol) were transmitting.
These commercial users all run fairly powerful repeaters just above the
2 meter band.  So if the 'teeth' have been removed, there is still
customer satisfaction to consider by the cable company.  Our APRS and
voice repeater no longer hears the cable nor does the cable hear them
(at least as one can see from the picture, where previously wavey bars
walked across the screen system wide).  On the other hand if I ran 1 KW
on 2 meters I would not be surprised to get into sets on channels 18
and 19, if for no other reason that the sets are not all that well shielded.

It seems to me that it would have been a lot easier for the cable
company to just abandon 18 and 19, and put those services (Discover and
MTV) on other channels, as I know they spent a lot of time 'tighting' up
the system.

Ron, N5IN