[aprssig] Yaesu FT1500M

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 17:39:57 EST 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:

>>(Channel "E" on analog cable systems lands almost directly on 144.39)
>>

>Huh... my cable-ready TV only gets numbered channels.

In traditional analog cable systems, the first 12 channels (2-13) are
usually on the same frequencies as their off-the-air counterparts.   To
carry more than 12 channels, the the cable operator starts filling in
the spectrum between the upper edge of the VHF low-band (channel 6 upper
edge is 88MHz) and the lower edge of the VHF highband (channel 7 lower
edge is 174MHz) with additional 6 MHz TV channels.

These show up on your cable-ready tuner (or cable box) as channels 14-28
although their RF frequencies are totally different from the channels
14-28 in the  "real" over-the-air UHF band.  [This is why TVs/VCRs/etc
have "cable" vs "antenna" selectors.] The reason for this is to keep the
added channels, sometimes referred to as "mid-band" channels,  in the
VHF range instead of in the UHF range where the cable losses would be
far higher. ]
Within the industry, these added channels that don't correspond to
actual RF channels are often designated with letters instead of numbers.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: