[aprssig] Yaesu FT1500M

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 17:05:37 EST 2005

The 24/7  VHF off-air monitoring for my UI-Webserver at:
      http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439

is being done with an FT-1500 with it's  minidin6 connector going into
the VHF side of a KAM.  (The HF side of the KAM is connected to a
Kenwood TS-50 on 30 meters.)

The only problem I observe with the FT-1500 is that I can't set the
squelch threshold high enough to prevent it from being held open (and
thus preventing transmit) by grunge from a local cable TV trunk .

(Channel "E" on analog cable systems lands almost directly on 144.39)
The sync buzz and hash varies with the brightness of the scene being
televised. Usually when the scene cuts to another view or fades to black
for a commercial, the crud level drops enough to allow the squelch to
close which then results in a burst of queued packets getting
transmitted all at once to 144.39.

This problem is most acute on cool nights, and goes away in warm
weather. I think the trouble is with a improperly-installed compression
connector on the aluminum-sheathed hardline  trunk cable.  When the
weather is warm, the aluminum hardline expands faster than the brass
fitting and makes a tighter seal.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: